Submission_time: 2013/03/13 07:13 EST
Affiliation:Space Research Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, Profsoyuznaya ul. 84/32, Moscow,117997, Russia
Working_Group 1st Choice:WG1
Working_Group 2nd Choice:WG1
Title:Magnetic storm generation by various types of solar wind: event catalog, modeling and prediction
Abstract:On the basis of the OMNI database of interplanetary parameters we identified solar wind (SW) types for intervals 1976–2000: (1) heliospheric current sheet (HCS), (2) slow and (3) fast SW streams, and disturbed types: (4) corotating interaction regions (CIR), (5) sheath and (6) magnetic cloud (MC) and (7) ejecta as well as (8) direct and (9) reverse interplanetary shocks (see catalogue on site ftp://ftp.iki.rssi.ru/pub/omni/).
On the basis of our Catalog we obtained following results:
(1) Occurrence rate of different types of solar wind (average number of SW types and their time distributions duration of types) and distributions of SW parameters in various types.
(2) Probability of magnetic storm generation (Geoeffectiveness) by various SW events.
(3) Efficiency of magnetic storm generation (relations between geomagnetic indices as “output” and interplanetary parameters as “input” for SW-magnetosphere system) by SW events.
(4) Modeling of storm main phase (approximation of Dst index by linear dependence on the following solar wind parameters: integrated electric field sumEy, dynamic pressure Pd and the level of the IMF fluctuations sB).
(5) Prediction of Dst index time evolution on the basis of model results mentioned above.
Several preliminary results may be found on web-site http://www.iki.rssi.ru./people/yyermol_inf.html.
This work was supported by the RFBR, project 13-02-00158a, and by the Program 22 of Presidium of Russian Academy of Sciences.